Collections and Critiques

Treasure Room Shows Plates From Several of His Collections

Besides being an executive officer of Widener Library, the late Professor A. C. Coolidge '87 was throughout his connection with the University a liberal donor of numerous volumes of divers classification to its stacks.

The book plates used in these volumes are now on exhibit in the Widener Treasure Room.

In 1908 and 1909 Professor Coolidge was the delegate of the United States and Harvard University to the Pan-American Scientific Congress at Santiago de Chile. In remembrance of this assembly he presented the Library with the South American Collection.

During the summer of 1901 Professor Leo Wiener made a collection of books in the Near East, which Professor Coolidge bought for Widener, where it is now known as the Slavic Collection.

Another plate, showing a Prussian Eagle, says that the Hohenzollern Collection, in commemoration of the visit of his Royal Highness Prince Henry of Prussia on March 6, 1902, in behalf of His Majesty the German Emperor, was also a result of Professor Coolidge's generosity.

Other plates on exhibition are those from the books from the library of Paul Riant, member of the Institute of France, Historia of the Latin East, and the volumes from the collection of Konrad von Maurer of Munich.