OLD PLAN OF ADMISSION IS POPULAR AT HARVARD

Committee on Schools Publishes Its Annual Report--1925 Shows Old Plan Leading by 261 Men

The Old Plan of Admission continues to be the most popular at Harvard University, according to figures made public in the annual report of the Committee on Schools of the Associated Harvard Clubs.

In the year 1925, 450 students entered the University by the Old Plan while only 189 were admitted on the New Plan.

In the East, where standardized school education has reached its highest development largely through the College Entrance Board Examinations, the Old Plan holds a considerable margin of popularity over the New Plan.

The New Plan was created in 1911 and gained favor steadily until five years ago, when Harvard embarked on another adventure of admission. It was decided then that a boy who stood in the top-seventh of his class during his last two school years, and had included studies which would satisfy the New Plan requirements, might be admitted without examination. This plan checked the growth in the number of students entering Harvard under the New Plan. In 1925 314 Freshmen entered without examination, 32 percent of the class.

This system did not prove as successful as had been hoped however, and has been withdrawn in large eastern centers and schools which offer definite preparation for the College Board Examinations. It will still be available in rural and distant sections of the country, for it is particularly useful in the West and South, where certification is general, and schoolmasters look upon examinations with a good deal of resentment.