The Student Vagabond

Of recent years at least, nothing has given various members of society more pleasure than to dilate upon the species of Homo sapiens known as that "Harvard man." Not that the judgment of these--shall we say scientists--has not always been very exact. Indeed according to many accounts the Harvard man is chiefly famous for three things--his unfortunate choice in his tailor, the "you can always tell a Harvard man but you can't tell him much" joke and his indifference.

Of the first two of these claims to fame obviously little need be said; as to the latter, the Vagabond would like to make a few remarks. For the Vagabond has had an opportunity to judge the matter pragmatically (keep this point in mind), he has asked, "Is he?" and the reply has echoed far. "He isn't." No one who wandered across the Anderson Bridge on Saturday and found his way into the Stadium would accuse those assembled of indifference.

Or at least, if the Harvard man is indifferent, there are occasions at which he doesn't show it. Sometime just watch who seems to be indifferent, (whether he is or not, is of no account) attend a cricket game for example and ask yourself the question.

All of which set out to be a dissertation of the judgment of pragmatism. It has failed of its purpose. After all, he who would be really well informed on the subject, should hear Professor Hocking in Emerson D at noon.

TODAY

10 O'clock

"The Tyrant Rosas," Professor Haring, Harvard 3.

"English Courts and English Law," Professor Yoomans, Widener N.

11 O'clock

"Germanic Institutions," Professor Taylor, Sever 21.

"Recent Attempts in Administrative Reorganization--the County, Town, Township and Administrative Area," Professor Sly, Sever 8.

12 O'clock

"Spanish Gothic Painting," Professor Post, Fogg Museum, small room.

"Spain and the Spanish Question, 1815-1822." Professor Langer, Harvard 6.

"Lyly and Peele," Professor Hillebrand, Harvard 3.