CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Spicy Material Of Blanco's Play At The Copley Bores--Ellspeth Dudgeon is Excellent As Hard-headed Wife

"The Idealist" by Guiseppe Bianco is being presented at the Copley Theatre for the first time on any stage, and for the unfortunate spectator who is forced to sit through its three lengthy acts, it becomes quite apparent why the play has never been produced before. Apparently Mr. Clive, emerging from the recent record run of "The Ghost Train" feels himself in a position where he may experiment with this and that, the experiment in this case being a venture into lush, melodramatic sentimentality.

The theme of the play revolves around the unpleasant complications which may arise from introducing a street-walker into the family circle--and it is difficult to conceive how such spicy material can produce such consummate boredom. This, however, it most successfully achieves.

Throughout the play may be observed the conflict between the idealism of Pa Holmes and the realism which characterises the attitude of his worthy spouse, Anna. Mr. Holmes is a laborer whose aim in life is promoting the Brotherhood of man, and in pursuance of this theory he brings home one night a "fille de joie" named Violet Hunt, who, much against the wishes of Mrs. Holmes is established in the family. The son of the house Alf, deserting his former unprepossessing sweetheart, falls in love with Violet, and his marriage is supported by his father, the idealist. Mrs. Holmes, however walks out of the house in high dudgeon.

To be brief, Mrs. Holmes' gloomiest prophesies prove true, the leopardess cannot change her spots, matters go from bad to worse in the Holmes household and Mrs. Alf begins to cut fancy capers once more, until expelled from the household by the returning Mrs. Holmes

The play is largely a talk fest dealing with such stuff as the cruel 'ard capitalists, the workingman's brotherhood, bread and betrayed daughters, etc. ad infinitum.

What redeeming features there are in the play appear in the really excellent work of Mrs. Ellspeth Dudgeon as the caustic, hard-headed, soft-hearted Mrs. Holmes, and the superb characterization of Violet Hunt by Miss Elsie Wagstaff, whose walk, voice, and manner give the very, spirit of the oldest profession. A word should also be said for Miss Doris Glaenzer, who was very entertaining as Alf's flat-footed first love. Mr. Clive, usually at home in any role, was not always quite convincing as a brother to all the world