CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Miss Wycherly Gives A Poignant And Finished Portrayal--Supporting Cast Hardly Adequate

No one who attends the current production of "Everyman" at the Fine Arts Theatre, can fail to be impressed by the sincerity of its presentation. It is a difficult feat to put on a Fifteenth Century miracle play and achieve any suggestion of the effect which it must have had upon the audiences for which it was intended. In producing this effect, the reviewer believes, Miss Wycherly and her company have attained a surprising success.

The faith of the producers of such a work is justified. "Everyman" is a powerful, elemental drama, treating, with unadorned directness, mighty truisms of life, the need to live in remembrance of death, and the absolute loneliness of the human soul when facing death. The drama is worthy its subject, stern as iron, "simple as bread."

The numerous pitfalls in a modern production of such a play have been well avoided in the present instance. The trappings are subdued and beautiful with out being arty. The delivery and stage manner give the sense of being anthentic without being self consciously quaint The ridiculous twists that lie in wait for the archals in our day are reduced to a minimum. There is none of the vulgar and artificial that was found in "The Miracle."

One soon overlooks the fact that "Everyman" is a woman, in the poignancy and finish of Miss Wycherly's acting. Unfortunately the acting of her support is not much more than adequate and at times the diction is not clear.

It is a beautiful drama, but not one that can be recommended for an evening of jocund entertainment