THE STUDENT VAGABOND

I have always been more or less fascinated by the final flourish which the Emperor Vespasian made when, in his last moments, he whispered apropos of the customary deflection of the Emperors. "Methinks I am becoming a god." So this morning at 9 o'clock I shall, in memory of this old gentleman, visit Sever 18, to hear Professor Ferguson in History 3b lecture on the Flavian emperors.

If I fail to be present in the Germanic Museum at 11 o'clock this morning, may my name be erased forever from the roster of the Ancient Order of Vagabondage. To miss a discussion of the novel would be unfortunate, but to miss such a discussion into which has been brought the exotic personality of James Joyce would be unthinkable. Much can be said about the value of bread as food, but a vagabond above all can not live by bread alone. So let none try to stop me from hearing Professor Lowes speak on the novel and psychological metamorphoses of Mr. Joyce.

Interest, it is a platitude to remark, is to life what salt is to eggs. So, although I do not as a rule attend afternoon lectures, particularly in the spring, I intend today to hear Professor McDougal at Emerson D lecture on that interesting subject in Psychology.