CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Herbert Heyes and Kay Hammond, Newcomers, Make Most of Light Roles, Company is Greatly Altered.

The St. James players offered Monday night the riotous farce, "Just Married," in which the winsome Vivian Martin starred at the Plymouth Theatre for so many weeks last winter. The performance was warmly received by a full house at the St. James, and it was on the whole well worth the applause it received.

The play presents the well-tried theatrical material of mistaken identity mixed-up staterooms, and gossipy women. The setting is on an ocean liner, a bit of novelty, and Misses Adelaide Matthews and Anne Nichols, the playwrights, have been more than usually original in the matter of situations and lines. The stateroom scene, when two strangers of opposite sex awake in the same stateroom, is very well handled.

St. James Company Altered

The St. James Company has been radically changed. Gone are Mr. Walter Gilbert and Miss Ann Mason, versatile leading pair of last season. In their places are Mr. Herbert Heyes and Miss Kay Hammond, and if last night's performance is any criterion, the change is decidedly not for the worse. If Mr. Heyes is as pleasing in straight roles as he was Monday night as the young man about town--a much abused epithet--who misjudges his alcoholic capacity, Mr. Gilbert's absence will not be noticed. Miss Hammond, too, was all that could be desired. We shall await with interest her portrayal of more exacting roles.

Three Favorites Are Left

Three old favorites, Mr. Houston Richards, Mr. Ralph Remley, Miss Anna Layng, alone remain in the recasting of the company. They were not blessed with especial opportunities to shine, but the hearty applause their appearance evoked shows where they stand with the St. James patrons.

Miss. Nina Oliver as the talkative young bride and Miss Victoire Blakeney as the equally loquacious French maiden who precipitated most of the trouble were at once ornamental and effective. We look forward to many pleasant Monday evenings at the St. James this winter.