Communication

More About Godlessness

(The CRIMSON invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The timely article on "Godless Harvard" issued as the sentiment of Professor E. C. Moore on our religious life places before us an all too prevalent attitude of the public which must be recognized.

Can Harvard, the leading educational institution of the country, allow such an opinion to stand?

I do not agree with the editorial of January 21st that "it is really no use in trying to prove that Harvard students are on the whole religiously inclined." To my mind such a statement narrows the meaning of religion and makes it conform to some petty attitude of one who does not know the meaning of religion.

Harvard is not Godless at heart, but rather camouflages with a cloak of godless-appearing Harvard Indifference a Christian spirit. As we have grown, and discarded other antiquated ideas, so should we now lay aside this attitude of indifference assumed when "Harvard had progresed toward godlessness and heterodoxy".

We cannot at this time of world conflict, remain indifferent to the thing, Christianity, which idealizes us of other nations. If Harvard is to continue a leader, her sons cannot remain indifferent to the cornerstone of her foundation.

Rather than scorn, we should accept humbly the prayers of those colleges who are so interested in our welfare. Would noted Harvard men of the past whose names are so familiar in Christian work be proud of the religious attitude which their progeny admit they assume, even if it is only a semblance? Should we not view the fact that other colleges are praying for us, in the light of a disgrace, instead of being amused at our notoriety? Further, we should not deceive ourselves by thinking that compulsory chapel is the great issue. Were that true we could discredit our accusers. But we cannot deny the abhorred spirit of indifference shown by our college life toward the thing which gives us all that we have. This general indifference is the thing which brings down criticism upon us, and the compulsory chapel service is but an unimportant means of attack.

In view of the fact that we are not known as we should like to be known but as what we are, can we remain indifferent to what we are? Is neutrality a virtue? H. H. MACCUBBIN '26.