A CLEARING HOUSE

Whether or not the Phillips Brooks House has really been a clearing-house for convictions and ideas, it has most certainly been successful as a clearing-house for such material things as books and magazines, clothes and Turkey dinners. The practical, measurable service which the Association performs amply justifies its existence without even touching upon the opportunities for expression and consulation which it constantly offers those who wish to take advantage of them. The sending of clothes to destitute parts of the globe, the distribution of food nearer home and the collection of books for the ship libraries are all distinctly worth while services in themselves.

On the other hand, it is the effect of all this on the student which is the real reason for Phillips Brooks House. Other institutions could well amass seamen's libraries and discarded overalls, but they would have little influence on or small appeal to college students. The Phillips Brooks House is the natural outlet for the student's philanthropic tendencies, and as it directs this often very considerable energy into useful channels, it serves two purposes, and it seems, serves both with exceedingly good results.

Moreover, as the report of Mr. Tibbetts shows, the material blessings which the Association is able to shower on students in Syria or Germany or Mississippi are often shared by students in the University itself. In its loan libraries, loan funds and other adjuncts of a similar nature, the Phillips Brooks House carries on a most useful form of social service work, probably little realized or appreciated by the College as a whole.