SUMMER SCHOOL TO OPEN WEEK EARLIER THIS YEAR

Will Convene July 2 and Close August 11--Professor Murray Again Heads Teaching Staff of 100 Instructors

The fifty-third summer school of the University, which will last six weeks, will convene one week earlier this year than last,--the opening date being July 2, and the closing, August 11. At the head of the organization, the teaching staff of which will number about 100, is again Professor John Tucker Murray '99 of the English department. There will be about 70 instructors from the University, and about 30 instructors from different sections of the United States.

Last year the attendance at the Summer School reached the record of 2880. While there is no available basis for an estimate of this summer's registration, the expectation is that it will be at least as large.

The School is primarily intended for the instruction of teachers, but is by no means limited to them. Each course, with the few exceptions, counts as a half-course toward a degree, and in most cases is identical with one offered during the regular term of the College. It is the desire of the school authorities that each student confine himself to one course, and given to it all of the time he intends to put on study. The reason for this is that years of experience have shown that the regular course, which in most cases meets five times a week, is sufficient to absorb the student's attention, whereas two courses tend to keep his work below a good standard in both courses. Two, however, may be taken, but no student may count toward a degree more than two, which is equivalent to one full course in the College.

Undergraduates May Take Courses

An undergraduate may take a course in the Summer School and count it towards his degree, but only those students who will have had an average of B or better during the present year may take two courses in the School.

The courses offered this year and also the subjects offered outnumber those of last year inasmuch as there are about 150 courses this year as compared with 125 last, and 29 subjects this year as compared with 25 the preceding summer. The tuition fees vary from $10 to $50, according to the course, but they average $20.

No entrance examination is required for admission to any courses, but in some the qualifications of the student must be considered. They will all be open to both men and women, except those in architecture, engineering, and geology.

Use Freshman Dormitories

Last year part of the 2380 students in the school were housed in the Freshman dormitories. These halls will again be open this summer: Gore and Standish for the women students, and Smith Halls for the men students. Room rents for the six-week period range form $40 to $100 a person, but accurate data can be secured from the descriptive catalogue of the Summer School, which may be had at University 17. Applications for these rooms are filled in the order in which they are received.

In addition to the routine work of the school, many plans have been made for educational excursions to such points of interest as Plymouth, Lexington and Concord, and Salem. The tennis courts and one of the boat houses will be open for use. Among the features of the school sessions, there will be a series of lectures by Professor C. T. Copeland '82, visits to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, and Wednesday evening musical entertainments at Appleton Chapel. Widener Library will be available to all students.

The University Summer School, is the oldest Summer School in this country, having been founded in 1871.