GOLF CANDIDATES WILL START SPRING WORK SOON

Should Be Able to Use Courses Before Spring Recess--Competition for Team Will Begin After Holiday

Candidates for the University and Freshman golf teams will start practicing as soon as the ground conditions at the local country clubs are favorable enough to permit their being used. D. A. Williams '23, captain of the University golf team, has announced. This will probably be shortly before the spring recess. Team trials, however, will not take place until after the vacation in order to allow the players time to get in condition before competing for the team.

This year an Intercollegiate golf league has been formed to provide for a series of matches and to take the place of the team matches that were formerly held in one inclusive Intercollegiate meet. The colleges, beside the University, that have signified their intention of entering are; Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Williams, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton and Yale, while Pennsylvania State and Syracuse have not as yet definitely decided whether they will compete. The University team will also have a few out-of-league matches, which have not yet been definitely arranged.

This year the University will not practice, as has been the custom heretofore at the Oakley Country Club. The management is trying to secure playing privileges at some other local country club whose course is more suited for team practice but just which one will be selected has not been decided upon.

Only two members of last year's squad will be able to report this year. These veterans are Captain D. A. Williams '23 and R. M. Clough '24. There will be, however, several strong competitors from the Sophomore class, the most promising of whom are Clark Hodder '25, C. L. Peirson '25 and J. J. Mapes '25.

This year it is planned to organize a 1926 golf team which will hold matches with other Freshman combinations. The team will be formed primarily to increase the interest in golf at the University and to develop material for next year's University team.