THE CRIMSON BOOKSHELF

REVIEWED IN BRIEF

Mrs. Nina Wilcox Putnam and Mr. Ring Lardner has recently wrote a book about marraige which George H. Doran has got the nerve to publish. At least they have each wrote a short piece. Ring has called his "Say it with Oil", and Nina has called hers "Say it with Bricks". The first is about women, marraige, and etc, and the second is about men, marraige, and ect. Then they have somehow got the two under one cozor where they live peaceable enough, not as if married.

Mrs. Mary Roberts Rinehart and Irvin S. Cobb done exactly the same thing a couple years ago but not any better, in fact not so good, although maybe they made more sense.

In this book they gave Ring a unfair advantage. They let him read what Nina had wrote before sitting down to pen off his own masterpiece. This makes the book cockide to begin with because who ever has been there when a woman has started a argument and then been lazy enough to leave her opponent, if of the suspender half of the family, end it. Besides Nina is just dumb enough to get tender at the end of her piece and say something about how women couldn't get along without men anyhow, at which Ring measures his distance and steps in and ends the fight with one wallop. He says in one place that his wife never reads his stuff, and if he wants to keep his health she better not read this.

To end up--the bricks is perfectly clear, but I would like to know where the oil comes in.