THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER

"L'Amore dei Tre Re" Impressively Sung by Chicago Company at Opera House--Bakianoff Wins Praise

The Chicago Civic Opera Company chose, to open its second and last Boston week, Montemezzi's "L'Amore dei Tre Re," the libretto by Sem Benelli, with Miss Garden in the role of Flora. It is one of the less familiar operas that the Chicagoans have seen fit to sponsor, and they have succeeded in earning it a popular reception.

"L'Amore dei Tre Re" is a curious mixture of old and new tendencies, and represents perhaps the middle ground between an opera like "Rigoletto" and one which may be written twenty years from now. The music is entirely modern, melodically and harmonically, and modern the orchestration; and then, in contrast, one finds a story which, with its antique romanticism, would have recommended itself to Verdi. The time is the middle ages, and the story, quickly told, involves a wife who has been unfaithful to her husband while he is off fighting the invaders. His blind father knows the guilt but not the name of the lover, Avito, so he keeps silence. The husband Manfredo, on his return, is coldly received, but goes again to war with the pledge that Flora will wave to him until his retinue is out of sight. Beguiled by Avito, she leaves the battlements too soon; the blind father strangles her, the husband returns, and the two wooers die (as opera demands) by kissing the poisoned lips of the corpse. It is all very Absurd, very passionate, and perfectly plausible in its musical setting.

The musical setting as given it by the Chicago orchestra, and the color put into it by the leading singers, made it a work of beauty. Miss Garden's medium voice sounded shop-worn, but above and below it was rich--and much could have been forgiven in return for the impressive manner in which she dominated each situation. The figure of Flora, scarlet-clad, waving to her departing husband from the battlements, is memorable, and the ensuing struggle with Archibaldo before he kills her, is a most impressive climax. M. Baklanoff, as Manfredo, outdid his comrades with a smooth and telling voice: M. Crimi's Avito was less inspired, though agreeable, and M. Lazzari made a vigorous old Archibaldo.

The remaining operas will be: this afternoon, "The Snow Maiden"; tonight, "Tosca"; tomorrow evening, "Die Walkyre"; Friday, Madame Butterfly"; Saturday matinee, "Carmen"; Saturday evening, "Jewels of the Madonna."