THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Capable Acting Encouraging Feature of St. James Production-Play a Social Comedy of Post-War Conditions

To many, one of the chief interests of the stock company is the opportunity it affords of following the careers of certain actors, to sound their merits, to measure the scope of their talent. Besides, it is only in the stock company that the player has chance to feel out the qualities and faults of his companions, and so to become fitting complement to them. Organizations other than the football squad benefit by teamwork.

The Boston Stock Company exemplifies very well the characteristic virtues of such companies. It is quite evident in their production of "The Famous Mrs. Fair" that the actors work very well together and further that they thoroughly enjoy their work. This acting of Miss Nudsen as the daughter is an excellent piece of skillful work as is also for that matter, the work of Walter Gilbert. The only criticism to be made on the acting is that Miss Quincy at times overdoes he part.

The success of the company is the more praiseworthy as their choice of play this week was less wise than it has been in the past. War material that made a success even a year or two ago is less warmly received today. James Forbes, the author, fails to show why it is any more difficult for Mrs. Fair, a major in the Red Cross, to settle down after four years of battlefields than it was for hundreds of thousands of men. And the puzzles of suffrage and parental duties have been so current in speech and press for the last few years that most of us have our own solutions readymade, without the intervention of an interpreting playwright.