DISCUSS MME. CURIE'S WORK AT RECEPTION

President Lowell, at Welcome Meeting in Sanders Theatre, Praises Success of Famous Scientist--Polish Women Present Written Address

One of Madame Curie's last receptions before her departure for Europe was given yesterday afternoon in Sanders Theatre. A large audience attended the meeting, at which President Lowell, and Professors Theodore W. Richards '86 and William Duane '93 spoke of her achievements in science.

In opening the meeting, President Lowell spoke very briefly of great discoveries which have altered the course of the world's history, and classed Mme. Curie's work with that of Sir Isaac Newton's as one of these. He then introduced Professor Richards of the Chemistry Department, who, after extending to Mme. Curie a cordial welcome to Boston and to Harvard, went on to speak of her work, and that of her husband, Professor Pierre Curie. Twenty-five years ago, he said, patient experimentation with uranium which was known to have the property of radio-activity, led to their discovery of two new elements, radium and collonium, which have this property in far greater degree. Then the realization that radium had an immediate medicinal value through its destructive effect on malignant organic growth, made theirs a priceless discovery.

Professor Duane, who has studied with Mme. Curie in her Paris laboratory, described the means by which she correctly interpreted the fact of the activity of uranium, a fact which was known before but unaccounted for, and through studying it was led to the discovery of the elements which may even yet revolutionize science.

Professor Duane then introduced Mme. Curie, who briefly thanked the audience for the welcome accorded her. There followed the presentation of a written address from Polish women and a musical program by a chorus of Polish children and by Miss Edith Bullard.