SCHOOL CLUBS

The renewed activity of the school clubs during the past weeks once more brings up the question of the University's relations with the preparatory school.

Upon the activity of the school clubs must depend almost entirely the relation of the University with the preparatory schools. The problem divided itself into three parts: the organization of active clubs, the exchange of news between the schools and alumni, the improvement of the relations between undergraduates and sub Freshmen. The first two divisions of the problem are in the hands of the School Clubs Committee. The third deserves to be set before the undergraduate body.

One difficulty faces us at the outset. In order to bring all graduates of schools together, there should be some place where Freshmen and upperclassmen can meet conveniently, and, which is still more important, where men from the schools can be entertained. So far nothing exists in Cambridge to satisfy these demands. Although the Union is the solution of many questions of accommodation, it is not a panacea for all troubles. Even if ample room would be provided, which is probably impossible, the building is too large to retain a true club atmosphere. It would seem to be out of the question to arrange for the use of any social club as permanent headquarters. Another possible arrangement is a School Club Building, but the expense and a dubiousness as to its popularity are two strong objections. It is of primary importance that a school club be able to meet and entertain guests, but where is a question that seems difficult to answer.

Another phase of the school club's problem is the danger that the activities of school clubs will be carried too far. Although arrangements should be made to see that every visitor to Cambridge, no matter from what school he may come, is properly entertained and given a fair idea of what the University is, we must beware of overzealous publicity. The object of the school clubs is to present Harvard to possible Freshmen as it really is, to explain to them its ideals and what it stands for, and to bring here only those men who believe in these ideals. Too much enthusiastic but misguided enthusiasm will do as much harm as good.

A third phase of the problem: what of the half dozen or even fewer men who represent a small preparatory school? If they cannot become a club, can they find some other means of being of service to Harvard and their school? Will the sending of news as to what they are doing in college and keeping in close touch with the graduating class at least be the only way in which they can serve the interests of Harvard and of their school?

We outline these problems in the hope that it may provoke discussion of the subject. We have long ignored our duty and opportunity in facing the question of the relation between the college and schools; it is time every effort be given by students to its solution. Believing that the problem differs greatly from school to school and the broadest posisble discussion of the matter is advisable the CRIMSON invites communications from undergraduates on the topic as they see it.