Communication

The Daily Program at Silver Bay.

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expresses under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editors of the Crimson.

Although no definite program for the Silver Bay Conference has yet been published, it is possible to make a fair estimate from the experience of previous similar conferences at North field. The morning is divided into periods of varying lengths for discussion groups and meetings. One of the periods is devoted to studying the application of the principles and teachings of the life of Christ to present-day problems through the use of such a book as Rauschenbusch's "Social Principles of Jesus," or Charmand's "Jesus in the Records." It is interesting to consider sometimes what college life would be like if college men were guided in their thought and action by the life of Christ. It is hoped that this year Dr. Fosdick will give a series of talks, with discussion following, on "The Fundamental Principles and Truths of the Christian Religion."

During another period men are free to elect whether they will study and discuss "Boy's Clubs," "Industrial Service," "Americanization," or "Methods of Social Service and other Christian work as carried on by the college associations." It is often illuminating to learn what other colleges are doing along this line.

It is to be hoped and expected that Mr. J. Stitt Wilson, a labor leader, will give a series of talks on Christianity as the practical solution of the present Labor and Capital disputes. Time is also allowed for consideration of Christianity as applied to all professions, including Medicine, Law, Teaching, and Engineering. Every morning there is a large auditorium meeting addressed by some such prominent man as Mott, Eddy, Cotton, MacKenzie-King, Dean Brown, Fosdick, Fitch, or Bishop Brent. The best speakers available are secured, and it is hoped this year in particular to, have some of the leading American statesmen and industrial leaders.

In a previous communication I described the athletics of the afternoon. In the evening it is customary to hold an out-of-doors meeting, the weather permitting,--when men who have been out to the foreign field give their personal experiences and testimony regarding the power of Christ. Last year an hour was devoted each evening to Mission Study, and in these days when ours is a world outlook it is particularly valuable to learn about America's relation and, responsibility towards America, China, Japan, and the other countries of the Near and Far East. One of the most instructive meetings of the entire day is the delegation meeting late in the evening when the meetings of the day are discussed from the critical viewpoint of what each one got out of the day's program, and the application to be made of what was learned or suggested.

It might seem from the above outline that the daily program is so concentrated that one would become "fed up"; but this is not true, as there are intermissions between periods, and as attendance at all of the courses is not compulsory. In conclusion let me sum up the daily program by saying that it offers a practical course of study of world-wide present-day problems in a congenial environment without infringing on one's complete enloyment of the summer vacation. F. W. WILLETT, 1 G.B.