ST. PAUL'S PLAYERS OVERWHELM FRESHMEN

BUTMAN SCORES FOR 1923

At the hands of the much superior and faster St. Paul's team the 1923 hockey seven yesterday suffered a 6 to 1 defeat at Concord, New Hampshire. The school boys were superior to the Freshmen in nearly every phase of the game, but during the second period the Crimson septet braced and throughout this period kept the St. Paul's players from scoring. Davis, the Concord school's right centre, was by far the most powerful factor in his team's victory, and almost unassisted he scored five of the six goals. A. H. Ladd and R. Watts played the best of the yearling's forward line, but the Crimson defense was rather weaker than usual and appeared very much so against the vicious assaults of the St. Paul's team.

School Boys Get Jump on Freshmen.

The game started at 3.30 o'clock while the snow was falling rather heavily. The ice was very fast and this and the strange rink put the Freshmen slightly at a disadvantage at first, so that before they could hit their stride Davis had eluded their defense and caged the puck twice. After this initial set-back, however, the 1923 players braced and kept the New Hampshire forwards from threatening the goal.

No Scoring in Second Period.

In the second period the Crimson team returned to the attack as fiercely as did St. Paul's so that although the Freshmen could not tally they kept the school players from netting the disc.

In the remaining third, however, the better team play and greater shooting and skating ability of the school team was evinced. Davis and Sargent between them managed to tally three times more. P. W. Butman scored the Freshman team's only goal three minutes before the close of the game on a waist high shot from the left side of the rink. A minute later Davis completed his quota by driving in a beautiful long shot from directly in front of the goal.

The Freshmen's one remaining game is with the Yale 1923 seven when they meet here Saturday.

The summary: HARVARD 1923.  ST. PAUL'S. Fish, Ladd, r.w.  l.w., Walker Larocque, Pratt, r.c.  l.c., van Gerbig Watts, Guild, l.c.  r.c., Davis Thayer, Butman, r.w.  l.w., Chisholm Owen, c.p.  c.p., Banes Dempsey, p.  p., Sargent Flint, g.  g., McLeod

Score--St. Paul's 6, Harvard 1923 1. Goals--Davis 5, Sargent, Butman. Referee--G. P. Milne. Timekeeper--E. S. Kimball. Goal umpires--G. G. Folin '23, Taylor. Time--Three 10-minute periods.