THE CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Present "Lady Frederick" by W. Somerset Maughan; Viola Roach Stars

The Henry Jewett Players have done it again. When we saw "Major Barbara" two weeks ago, we wondered if they could keep up that standard of production for the remainder of the season. Then a week later we went to the jubilant performance of "She Stoops to Conquer" and we began to wonder even more. In past years the Jewett players have had their ups and downs; it hardly seemed possible that they could continue indefinitely to give such capital performances. Finally we saw "Lady Frederick" by W. Somerset Maughan, Monday night and we were convinced. Whatever the New York managers may send to Boston we can rejoice in the knowledge that at the Copley Theatre we can always find entertainment. The Jewett Players evidently have no intention of starting the season with a good production and then disappointing their ever-increasing patrons with a less satisfying diet of entertainment.

The theme of "Lady Frederick" is not a new one. A charming woman, living to a certain extent by her wits, is popularly believed to be an adventuress. A combination of circumstances drives her to the wall--as the play progresses her true character is revealed little by little and we see her as a woman of high soul and pure heart. Finally she marries her old flame, the rich cynic, now turned sentimentalist.

In the few plays of Mr. Maughan's that we have seen we have discovered that usually the first act moves rapidly while the succeeding acts are but clever repartee. Therefore when the second act begins with an amusing but not altogether relevant scene in which Lady Frederick bests her dunning dress-maker we expected that from then on we were to be amused rather than thrilled. But we were agreeably disappointed. The action, mingled with dialogue, epigrammatical and quick, was soon caught up again, and the play progressed surely and rapidly to the conclusion of the story.

Mr. Maughan, who has already gained a reputation by his knack for clever dialogue surpasses himself in "Lady Frederick." Shaft after shaft of brilliant wit, always pertinent, is directed at the audience. A few examples will suffice:

"Protestations of undying affection are never ridiculous when they are accompanied by such splendid emeralds."

"I never heard of the lady, but her name suggests that she has an affectionate disposition."

In our opinion the performance of Miss Viola Roach is by far the most delightful we have ever seen her give. The title role, the good-hearted and charming Lady Frederick was for her a happy one. Ethel Barrymore originally played the part; it is not too much to say that Miss Roach's work can be compared not unfavorably with hers. Playing opposite to Miss Roach, Mr. Charles Warburton managed his highly epigrammatic part skilfully, and for the most part accurately. It was a most exacting role for a repertory player--but the prompter was only once necessary. Mr. Watts, although his characterization is identical with that he has given in other productions at the Copley Theatre, fits into the role of Lord Moreston very well.