Communication

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Committee on the Class of 1920 Memorial Gate begs to submit the following letter commenting favorably upon the plan of the Junior Class:

In Favor of a Separate Memorial.

I am glad to have the opportunity to express my approval of the proposed memorial to the men of 1920 who lost their lives in the war. Although in general we should guard against erecting individual monuments, an exception may well be made in this case. In the minds of these men, the call to arms was intimately associated with undergraduate life. Their main interests lay in the activities of the Yard, the river, and the Field; and while they were in service, their thoughts doubtless turned to Harvard almost as often as to their homes. Attachment of this kind, it seems to me, should be commemorated as well as the sacrifice which Harvard men of all classes made.

A 1920 Memorial Gate, therefore, seems particularly appropriate, especially if it can be completed in time to be dedicated at Commencement next year. Yours very truly,   L. S. MAYO.