1921 RELAY LOST TO M. A. C.

KROGNESS WAS ONLY UNIVERSITY REPRESENTATIVE TO PLACE.

The Freshman relay team was defeated by a wide margin in a one-mile race with the Massachusetts Agricultural College quartet, at the military and naval games in the East Armory, Boston, on Saturday night. A team composed of both Freshman and informal runners representing the University R. O. T. C. was to have raced a team from the Yale R. O. T. C., but the latter at the last moment failing to enter, Coach Donovan decided to have a 1921 quartet meet M. A. C. During the first lap the contest was close, C. A. Page '21 barely leading Chapin of M. A. C. for the entire distance. A. W. Douglass '21, however, was compelled to yield place to Dewing of the "Aggies," who forced his way by, close to the pole. Both Newhall and Yessair of M. A. C. maintained their leads over J. T. Baldwin '21 and J. M. B. Churchill '21, respectively. The time for the mile was two minutes and 58 seconds.

Though the Navy monopolized the 60-yard dash and the 600-yard run, the Army came to the fore in the other events, and with the aid of the various R. O. T. C. units emerged the winner, 32 to 30.

Among the events in which informal and Freshman track athletes were entered the only University representative to place was C. G. Krogness '21, who with a leap of five feet eight inches was second in the running high jump. Pelletier of Camp Devens was first with a margin of-two inches, while Roberts of the Radio School was third with a jump of two inches less than that of Krogness.

The latter also reached the finals of the 60-yard service dash; winning the third heat of the preliminaries in the time of six and four-fifths seconds. However, in the final heat he was outclassed and failed to place. French of the Portland Naval Station, by a final burst of speed, was the winner in six and two fifths seconds, equaling the world's record. W. Rollins '16, former University sprinter, now in the M. I. T. aviation school, after a hard-fought struggle nosed out Proud of the Navy Yard for second place, losing to French by little more than two yards. Rollins also ran anchor man on the M. I. T. quartet, which easily defeated Fort Andrews in a one-sided contest.

In the two-mile run, though B. Lewis '20 for a time threatened to prove dangerous, he was soon outdistanced. Weeks of the Navy Yard found no difficulty in coming in the winner. Lewis, in the 600-yard run as well, was third at the end of the first lap, but could not hold his position and failed to place