The Theatre in Boston

"Fixing Sister."

William Hodge has come to Boston in his first new play for ten years, "Fixing Sister," at the Majestic. In some respects this play is like those former familiar vehicles of Mr. Hodge, full of quiet humor and Yankee wit, and again the hero is a "man from home," shrewd, drawling, and lovable. This time, however, he is in different surroundings, for he has chosen to place himself, not in a little village, but in the midst of the society life of New York.

John Otis, of Kansas City, comes to the palatial home of his widowed sister to find out the why and wherefore of her large expense account. He arrives at a most auspicious moment, as all good heroes should. His sister is in the clutches of an unscrupulous Englishman who makes love indiscriminately to her and her companion, Abbey Sexton. John is a business man but a human one. He sees his opportunity, grasps it, and of course the whole thing turns out all right in the end. The Englishman is "halfway to Canada" by the time John wins his old sweetheart back again.

As a play, "Fixing Sister" is not a great contribution to the drama. It is frankly and wholly Mr. Hodge throughout. But there are many clever lines, the scenery is remarkably realistic, and the fact that Mr. Hodge is the most notable thing about is hardly to be wondered at. Certainly the first act drags until he appears,, but thereafter it is plain sailing, steadily working up to the last act, which is by far the best of the four.

As usual, Mr. Hodge is supported by a thoroughly competent cast. In the role of Lord Haggert, the scheming Englishman, Hamilton Deane is convincing, while Miriam Collins, the attractive little leading lady, is highly delightful as an ingenue sweetheart. Teresa Maxwell Conover is the sister of the title role and plays the part of a spoiled society woman in a most commendable manner. The other principle parts are well taken by Ida Vernon and Charles Canfield, with some twenty more to fill in as guests in the thrilling bridge whist scene.