Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In reading the article in the CRIMSON on "Illiterate Collegians" you ask "Who is to blame?" Allow me to write and even if I am a poor ignorant woman that left school in the sixth grade of the "Grammar School" to earn my own living so please pardon my ignorance. Before my son went to Harvard I have heard several times of young men that did not make good, that in some cases Harvard turns out "educated fools." Well, I worked hard for twenty years to send my son to Harvard feeling that where I had nothing in the line of education, my children should have the highest, no matter what tremendous sacrifices I would have to make. After many years he is at last in Harvard and as splendid a young man with sterling qualities that ought to stand for large things in the world. What was my surprise when at mid-years they advised him to drop out. Now please listen patiently. Of course we were heartbroken; so one morning I went over and talked with three men, and I said, "No, it is impossible that you can drop him out like that." Then I said, "What does D mean in Math" (This is now my main point, for Math. has always been his A study). The gentleman answered, "We go very swift at Harvard and probably your son cannot keep up the pace." Just think of such an answer. Then I said, "That E in Economics?" He said, "Well they are all taking first year at that." Mind you, to travel so swiftly in such a deep subject. At high school he had three years in German but at Harvard it was another D. Now if he was not a real genuine student I would not wonder. To be sure he is no driver, and if you do make a mistake in German the students laugh. Then I said, "You must let him stay until June." Now he has dropped German and has Prof. Muensterberg. I saw your article on "The Scholarship Service Bureau" and now he has a tutor in Mathematics. Believe me I'll do my best not to have him thrown out in June, but how to prevent it I hardly know, but I urge my son to study hard and do his best. Now cannot you understand very easily that "Who is to blame?" Why the system, of course, is wrong to make them all keep one pace with no help outside from the teacher. There should be personal help. what good is such a pace? My son got an F in English. Do you wonder that seventy-nine per cent failed? Each day every student should be made to understand and comprehend every lesson. This everlasting "getting by" is the curse of the age. There should be spelling matches, occasionally. Please pardon. A. MOTHER.