USE THE GYMNASIUM FUND.

There are among the question which confront the University, two problems which are admirably fitted to solve each other. One concerns the Union primarily; it has to do with the disposition of the space in the basemen left free by the removal of the CRIMSON. The other involves the use of the somnolent gymnasium fund. The suggestion of Ellery H. Clark '96 that this money be used to make a swimming pool in the unoccupied space in the Union would provide an ideal answer to both question.

Best of all, however, would be the effect upon two larger problems. The University has long been obliged to share with all Cambridge the pool of the Y. M. C. A., but hundreds of other students have practically done no swimming at all because of the lack of good opportunity. Almost every other university of any size has a pool; and none would think of giving it up. At Yale four hundred men swim every day. The lack of a pool at Harvard is far from a cause for pride.

Such a move would also prove a boon to the Union. It might even completely remove the Union's financial difficulties. Hundreds more men would probably join. The pool would add the last needed argument to convince many who already recognize some of the other attractions of the Union.

As for the gymnasium fund, there is no prospect of its being used for its original purpose in the finite future. And its $10,000, with a small addition which could doubtless be obtained from graduates would be enough for the pool.