WELL-KNOWN EDITOR TO TALK IN UNION TONIGHT

Norman Hapgood '90 will Discuss Modern Social Problems in Living Room at 8 o'clock.

Norman Hapgood '90, A.M., LL.B. '93, a former editor of the Monthly and now editor of Harper's Weekly, will speak in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock. The subject of the lecture has not been announced, but it will be a discussion of some modern problem, social or economic.

Mr. Hapgood's career divides itself into three phases; first, his work as a journalist; then, as an author and writer of books; and, finally, his great activity as a reformer and modern feminist.

As a journalist, he first attracted notice as dramatic critic on the New York Commercial Advertizer and Bookman, which position he held for five years from 1897 to 1902. For ten years he was editor of Collier's Weekly, and in 1913 he took charge of Harper's Weekly.

Mr. Hapgood's first book was "The Literary Statesman," published in 1897. He followed this at intervals of two years with biographies of Daniel Webster, Abraham Lincoln and George Washington. In 1911 "Industry and Progress" appeared, the subject of the book being indicative of the new trend which his interests were taking. For it is towards the improvement of existing social conditions and woman suffrage, that his activity has been directed in recent years.