OARSMEN OFF FOR RED TOP

UNIVERSITY AND FRESHMAN SQUADS LEAVE THIS MORNING. 41 TO MAKE TRIP.

The University and Freshman crew squads leave for Red Top, the training quarters at New London, this morning, reaching the quarters in time for the first practice this afternoon. The launches went down last week, and boat-rigger Hart and a carpenter took the shells down Saturday night, so that everything will be ready when the men arrive. Four eight-oared shells, one four oar, and two singles were taken. An addition has recently been built on to the dining hall at the quarters so that both squads can eat together. There will be a special car leaving Harvard square at 12 o'clock to take the men to the train, which leaves South Station at 1.30. All trunks must be packed at 8 A. M. sharp, when the managers will call for them. A special dining car will be on the train, where the men will lunch, but as this does not go all the way to New London, men who have examinations this morning should reach the train as soon after 12.30 as possible.

There were some changes in the orders of the University crews last Friday, Murray and Gardiner going up from the second crew to displace Curtis and Talcott, and Soucy moving from three to seven. There were also some further changes in the second crew, resulting in the following orders:

University crew.--Stroke, Lund; 7, Soucy; 6, Parson; 5, Schall; 4, Harwood; 3, Murray; 2, Gardiner; bow, Captain Reynolds; cox., Sargent.

Second crew.--Stroke, Chanler; 7, Curtis; 6, Morgan; 5, J. W. Middendorf; 4, H. S. Middendorf; 3, Meyer; 2, Talcott; bow, Saltonstall; cox., Kreger.

The University crew spent some time Friday trying out its new English shell, which has just been rigged. Special attention was given to rigging the boat to fit the men.

Besides Coach Wray and Mr. R. F. Herrick '90, the following 41 men will take the trip:

University squad.--Captain Q. Reynolds '14, F. W. Busk '16, L. S. Chanler, Jr., '14, L. Curtis, Jr., '14, W. T. Gardiner '14, B. Harwood '15, R. F. Herrick, Jr., '16, H. L. F. Kreger '16, C. C. Lund '16, H. H. Meyer, Jr., '15, H. S. Middendorf '16, J. W. Middendorf '16, D. P. Morgan '16, H. A. Murray, Jr., '15, K. B. G. Parson '16, L. M. Sargent '16, L. Saltonstall '14, C. E. Schall '16, and Managers G. L. Aspinwall '14, R. C. Cobb '15, and S. M. Felton, Jr., '16.

Freshman squad.--Captain R. R. Brown, E. O. Baker, A. A. Cameron, H. B. Cabot, Jr., N. Chadwick, A. Coolidge, K. P. Culbert, C. F. Eaton, W. S. Ely, C. L. Henderson, C. Higginson, D. G. Lovell, A. Potter, W. Richardson, T. E. Stebbins, R. T. Young, and Managers P. S. Howe, Jr., and H. G. Reynolds.

The Yale crews went to Gales Ferry, just above Red Top, in two squads, the Freshmen arriving Friday night and the University crews on Saturday morning. Regular practice began Saturday.

1917 Four-Oared Wins Close Race.

The Freshman four rowed a close race with the Middlesex four Saturday morning winning only by one foot. The boats were even down the half-mile course, the Freshmen rowing a somewhat higher stroke than the schoolboys from start to finish. After this race the second Freshman boat defeated the Middlesex second crew by five lengths.

The crews rowed in the following order:

Freshman four: stroke, Chadwick; 3, Coolidge; 2, Culbert; bow, Eaton; cox., Henderson.

Middlesex four: Stroke, Howard; 3, Williams; 2, Franklin; bow, Baker; cox., Pierson.

The University and Freshman eights did not row Saturday, only the second eight getting a last paddle on the Charles