EASY VICTORY OVER BROWN

FOR FIRST TIME IN SEVERAL YEARS BASEBALL NINE BEATS R. I. TEAM.

The University baseball team defeated Brown at Providence for the first time in years on Saturday afternoon when it trounced the home team by the large margin of 11 runs. The final score was 12 to 1. Cram and Crowell did the twirling for Brown but neither of these men had anything deceptive to the University batters who succeeded in piling up 16 hits. Ayres was the principal offender in this respect as he secured five hits out of as many time at bat, which included a three-bagger and four singles.

Mahan pitched for the University team and performed in his usual steady fashion. Although the Brunonians secured seven safe drives from his delivery, they were for the most part scattered, and after the Harvard team had secured a safe lead, Mahan let up a little. At no time during the game did Brown show any likelihood of winning. The University team scored one in the second and six in the fourth. Brown's lone tally came in this latter inning. The remaining runs for the Harvard team came in the eight and ninth.

Both sides fielded in sensational manner. In the eight, Dike hit a hard one to centre field which was labeled for three bases but by a fine burst of speed Milholland caught the ball with his glove hand. It was one of the most sensational catches ever seen on Andrews Field. Ormsby, the Brown right fielder per- formed at similar feat earlier in the game.

Capatin Wingate and Clark also played air tight ball in the field, the former marking several sensational stops of hard hit balls, headed for second base. Hardwick made the only error for Harvard when he droppee a fly in the first inning. Coach Sexton made only one change in the line-up, substituting Fripp for Hardwick in the middle of the game, after the latter had shown some difficulty in solving the deliveries of the Brown twirlers.

The summary:

HARVARD  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Wingate, s.s.,  5  0  1  3  1  0Nash, 1b.,  3  1  1  8  0  0Clark, 2b.,  5  2  2  2  2  0Ayres, 3b.,  5  4  5  2  2  0Gannett, r.f.,  5  1  1  1  0  0Mahan, p.,  4  2  3  0  4  0Hardwick, l.f.,  2  1  0  1  0  1Milholland, c.f.,  3  0  1  4  0  0Waterman, c.,  4  1  1  5  1  0Fripp, l.f.,  3  0  1  1  0  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Totals,  39  12  16  27  10  1BROWN.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Balington, 3b.,  4  0  0  2  2  0Tewhill, 2b.,  4  0  0  3  2  1Dike, l.f.,  4  0  0  2  0  0Durgin, 1b.,  2  0  0  7  0  0Andrews, r.f.,  4  0  1  2  0  0Johnston, s.s.,  4  1  2  3  2  1Ormsby, r.f.,  4  0  2  3  0  1Hazlett, c.,  3  0  1  5  3  0Cram, p.,  1  0  1  0  1  0Crowell, p.,  2  0  0  0  2  0*Nash,  1  0  0  0  0  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Totals.  33  1  7  27  12