INDOOR COMPETITIONS IN TRACK

Series of Contests for Field Event Candidates Begin Today.

The first of a series of competitions in the high-jump, broad-jump, pole-vault and shot-put which will feature the winter work of candidates for the University and Freshman track teams will be held this afternoon when candidates for the high-jump and pole-vault are to report between 3.30 and 4 o'clock. Throughout the winter competitions in these two events will be held regularly on Tuesday afternoons and contests in the broad-jump and shot-put on Thursday afternoons. If it is possible to have a platform built for hammer-throwing, a competition will also be held in this event. The competitions will be marked on a percentage basis, relative to the number of men in each event. The contestants in each event who have obtained the three highest averages will be awarded suitable prizes at the end of the winter season. The events today will be held in the baseball cage.

Opportunities will be afforded candidates to enter a number of indoor meets throughout the winter, ending with the I. C. A. A. A. A. indoor relay championships to be held at Madison Square Garden, New York City on March 6. Besides the relay races a five-man team representing the University will be entered in the high-jump, pole-vault and shot-put events in this meet and will be scored in the same manner as a cross-country team. Additional entries will also be made, thus affording inexperienced men an opportunity to obtain training in actual competition.

Voluntary work for candidates for the track events and the relay teams will begin as soon as the board track is erected.