PRESIDENT LOWELL'S ANNUAL REPORT

Review of Academic Year 1911-12 in Which Important Changes and Needs of University are Discussed Printed in Full.

To the Board of Overseers:

The President of the University has the honor to submit the following report for the academic year 1911-12:

Changes in Teaching Staff.

Since the last report was written the vacancy in the Corporation, caused by the death of Judge Francis Cabot Lowell on March 6, 1911, has been filled by the election of Robert Bacon, who relinquished his post as Ambassador to France to serve the University. He had hardly taken his place when another was left empty by the death of November 4, 1912, of Dr. Arthur Tracy Cabot, one of the most faithful and sagacious counsellors that we have ever had. Eminent as a surgeon, he had retired from his large practice a year before to give the rest of his life to public service; and we had looked forward to many years of co-operation and companionship with him.

The losses suffered in the instructing staff during the year covered by this report have been unusually heavy. Professor William Watson Goodwin died on June 15, 1912. Although on the retired list since 1901, and in declining health for the three last years, his name was an honor to the University, and the memory of his long service and great scholarship will not cease to be cherished. On July 30, Dr. Maurice Howe Richardson, Moseley Professor of Surgery, died suddenly in the full tide of his extraordinary activity. His devotion to the interests of the Medical School was constant, and he won the affection of vast numbers of patients in his private and hospital practice. Charles Robert Sanger, Professor of Chemistry and Director of the Chemical Laboratory, died after a prolonged illness on February 25th. His death thinned grievously the depleted ranks of the chemical staff. On April 7th died Abbott Lawrence Rotch, Professor of Meteorology, who founded and maintained at his own expense the Observatory at Blue Hill, which he devised to the University. A Pioneer in a new field of science, his presence cannot soon be replaced. At the close of the year Charles Loring Jackson, Erving Professor of Chemistry, retired, after a distinguished service of forty-four years as teacher and investigator; Arthur Searle, Phillips Professor of Astronomy, retired also, after devoting to the Observatory forty-three years; William Morris Davis, whose name is as well known abroad as in Cambridge, resigned the Sturgis-Hooper Professorship of Geology; and George Santayana, Professor of Philosophy, to our regret preferred in middle life to return to Europe. The Medical School lost through resignation three of its most eminent clinical professors: Dr. Frederick Cheever Shattuck, Jackson Professor of Clinical Medicine; Dr. James Jackson Putnam, Professor of Diseases of the Nervous System; and Dr. Edward Hickling Bradford, Professor of Orthopedic Surgery. The last of these was happily prevailed upon to accept the position of Dean of the School, in place of Dr. Henry Asbury Christian, who was obliged to resign because his professorship and his new duties as physician-in-chief of the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital will fill all his time. Dr. Christian's work as Dean, in bringing about closer relations between the Medical School and the various hospitals, will mark an epoch in the progress of the School.

The new appointments made in the staff of the Medical School in consequence of these vacancies will be referred to in describing the condition of the School. The appointments and promotions to professorships in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences have been as follows:

Irving Babbitt, Professor of French Literature.

Reginald Aldworth Daly, Sturgis-Hooper Professor of Geology.

William Scott Ferguson, Professor of Ancient History.

Elmer Peter Kohler, Professor of Chemistry.

Arthur Michael, Professor of Organic Chemistry.

William Bennett Munro, Professor of Municipal Government.

Charles Palache, Professor of Mineralogy.

Walter Raymond Spalding, Associate Professor of Music.

Jay Backus Woodworth, Associate Professor of Geology.