DEAN BRIGGS ON ATHLETICS

REPORT OF ATHLETIC COMMITTEE REVIEWS WORK ACCOMPLISHED IN 1911-1912.

To the President of the University:

Sir, As Chairman of the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports, I have the honor of reporting on Harvard athletics in 1911-12.

Besides the Chairman, the Committee contained, as Faculty members, Dean Hurlbut and Acting Secretary Wells; as graduate members, Dr. E. H. Nichols, Mr. R. F. Herrick, and Mr. G. R. Fearing, Jr.; as undergraduate members, Mr. H. de Windt, Mr. A. M. Goodale, and Mr. H. L. Gaddis. In the latter part of the year Mr. de Windt was succeeded by Mr. R. S. Potter.

To facilitate business and to avoid unnecessary meetings, the Committee voted:

That Mr. Edgar Wells be appointed Vice-Chairman of this Committee and that the Chairman and Vice-Chairman, or either of them, be vested with all the authority of the Committee over the control of athletics in the following matters:

1. In all matters appertaining to qualification for participation in athletic sports.

2. In all matters affecting intercollegiate contests, expressly including the schedules for games and other contests, and the time and place for them, and including all matters relating to admissions to games and other contests and to distribution of tickets therefor.

3. The control and management of all receipts and expenditures on account of athletics.

Obviously this vote gave the Chairman and the Vice-Chairman large powers and might be so interpreted as to do away with all other members of the Committee. It was not so interpreted, however. All matters of importance were referred to the Committee except in such emergencies as compelled the officers to act quickly.

Use of Finances in Past Year.

In 1911-12 the best spent money was used in reclaiming six more acres of the Soldiers Field. In general, money is well spent when it increases opportunity for exercises among all students, or relieves all students of subscriptions; it is spent less well--some think it is spent ill--in the preparation of comparatively few men for single great contests, in costly journeys to the scenes of those contests, in prolonged use of the training table, and in some other things which college athletics as now conducted demand. On the other hand, without the great contests there would be less money to spend; and there is, I suppose, some question whether contests without elaborate preparation would be regarded as great. In this question something may be learned from the game between the Army and the Navy, which rivals in interest the game between Yale and Harvard:

"At West Point," says the Yale News, "where the daily practice lasts about forty-five minutes, Yale Football Teams have twice in succession been out-

played, out-fought, and sent home--branded with defeat. A team of Army men, who find rest from strenuous labor in playing the game--who do not pretend to supremacy in it--have thus, more than Harvard and Princeton together, tarnished our football reputation."

Since the opportunity for students to use the Harvard swimming tank in the Y. M. C. A. Building revived and justified the desire for a swimming team, the Committee voted to allow the formation of a University Swimming Team for the year 1912-13 under certain conditions.

It is worth noting that the champion tennis player of the University is the first scholar of his class.