New Plays in Boston

"Pomander Walk."

Mr. Parker's new play "Pomander Walk" will appeal to three classes of students. First to the appreciative graduate who enjoys delightful dialogue, clever acting and an all-round excellence of production. Second, to the upperclassman who has grown weary of the "gripping" drama-with-a-message and still wearier of the trombone and drum effects of musical comedy. Third, to the Freshman of social ambitions and a yet uncertain standing who is looking for a play of "possibilities." No one of these men should miss "Pomander Walk".

The plot of the play is very simple. John Sayle had fallen in love with Lucy Pryor many years before the overture began, but had foolishly (as he decides in Act III) left her. Sayle becomes Baron Otford and Lucy Pryor Madame Lachesnais. Of course, when the play opens in 1805, the Baron's son finds Madame's daughter living in a romantic street called Pomander Walk, and falls violently in love with her (Act 1). But when Marjolaine's mother hears who the suitor is she says "no daughter of mine" etc., and John Sayle, Jr., has to do his courting in disguise (Act II). Thanks to an obliging old minister and the romantic surroundings the course of true love is smoothed and when the curtain falls the minister has four weddings instead of one to perform.

Obviously there is little new in the plot. In fact many of the situations, particularly in Act III, seem trite. But the unusual excellence of the dialogue and the careful perfection of scenic detail make the performance fascinating. Some of the apparent bricks in the house on Pomander Walk would do credit to the north side of Holworthy.

But the acting is the real feature of the play. Seldom has there been in Boston a company of such uniform excellence. Admiral Sir Peter and Jerome Brooke-Hoskyn Esq. are genuinely amusing and Mile. Marjolaine genuinely attractive.

Let no one who thirsts for excitement or no one who prefers the whitewash man to the artist see "Pomander Walk". But everyone who can enjoy a quiet and sanely amusing play of an older period will find something worth while at the Plymouth.