BOAT RACES WITH YALE

To Be Held June 30--Development of Crews and Yesterday's Practice

The annual Harvard-Yale boat races will be rowed on the Thames River at New London on Thursday, June 30. The race between the University eights will be rowed down-stream over the four-mile course, starting opposite Red Top, at 6 o'clock, and finishing at the railroad bridge at New London. The race between the Freshman eights will be rowed at 10 o'clock from the railroad bridge to the Navy Yard, a course of two miles. Immediately following this race the University fours will row over the upper two miles of the course, from the Navy Yard to the finish opposite Red Top. The races may have to be postponed on account of weather conditions, but this will not be done unless it is absolutely necessary. In case the University eight-oared race cannot take place before 7 o'clock on June 30, it will be rowed up-stream the next morning at 10.30 o'clock, and the Freshman and four-oared races, if postponed, will immediately follow it. If either crew is disabled by a bona-fide accident during the first half-mile of the University race, the crews will be re-called. On Wednesday afternoon, June 29, the Freshman fours will row down-stream over the first mile of the course, and the graduate eights will row down-stream over a half-mile course.

Light Practice for Crews Yesterday.

[Special despatch to the CRIMSON].

Harvard Crew Quarters, Red Top, New London, Conn., June 23, 1910.--This morning the University and Freshman eights practiced racing starts in front of the boathouse. The Freshman four covered about one mile in short stretches at a high stroke.

In the afternoon the University eight was taken down-stream in the "John Harvard" to the half-way mark at the Navy Yard. From here the crew paddled over the upper two miles of the course to the finish opposite Red Top, rowing 29 strokes to the minute. At the mile-mark the the Freshman eight joined in, rowing a slightly higher stroke than the University eight. The crews covered the mile with the Freshmen slightly in the lead, but the row was in no sense a race, as both crews were paddling easily. The Freshman four rowed slowly over the last mile of the course and later tried a racing start with the second University four. The University four covered two and one-half miles in short stretches this evening. Coach Wray paid special attention to the work of the four, showing the men how to get in quicker at the catch. Tonight the Freshman squad celebrated the victory of the baseball team with a huge bonfire and fire-works.

Development of the University Crew.

The University crew started practice last fall with bright prospects inspite of the loss by graduation of Captain E. C. Cutler '09, L. K. Lunt '09, R. M. Faulkner '09, and F. M. Blagden '09, coxswain. During most of the fall practice Cutler stroked the eight, although Newton, who stroked last year's Freshman eight, was tried out at times. The absence at 5 of Withington, who played football during the fall season, necessitated changing Bacon from 4 to 5. Newton, Strong, Leslie, and Balch, from last year's Freshman crew, were the new men tried out in the boat. When the spring training began, Newton was sent in to stroke, with Cutler at 6, but, as Newton got on probation, it was not thought advisable to develop the eight with him at stroke and the two men were again interchanged. With Hooper at 4, in place of Withington, who was supervising spring football practice, with Balch at 3, Sargent at 2, and Whitney at bow, the crew easily defeated Annapolis on the River Severn on April 21 by two and one-half lengths. The development up to this race was rapid and very satisfactory. After the Annapolis race, Withington resumed his seat at 4.

On Monday, May 30, the eight was defeated by Cornell on the Charles by one length and a quarter. Although the crew rowed in beautiful form in this race, the contest was lost solely by poor judgment.

The squad left for Red Top on Sunday, June 12. Two days later the eight assumed an order which has not changed since. Strong replaced Newton at 6, Newton forcing Sargent out of the boat at 2. Metcalf took Balch's seat at 3. The rest of the crew kept their positions. At New London the crew has continued to improve with each row. On Wednesday, June 15, the eight paddled very easily over four miles in 23 minutes and 25 seconds. Last Monday the eight covered approximately four miles again. The time for the first three miles was 17 minutes flat.

Progress of Yale Eight.

Yale started the rowing season of 1910 with far less bright prospects than Harvard. Four men were lost by graduation, and there was little good material in the freshman eight and university four of last year. Coach Kennedy, evidently believing that Harvard had won for the last two years by developing men of greater physical strength and weight than his men, began early in the season to look for some heavy oarsmen.

An injury to stroke Wallis's shoulder before the squad left for Gales Ferry on June 1 greatly handicapped the crew. After the first few days at New London, Wallis returned to the boat. He and Captain Wodell at 7 were the only veterans in the shell from last year's crew. Three other "Y" men were unable to make the crew, their places having been filled by less experienced but larger and stronger men. The present average weight of about 173 pounds indicates that Yale has not a light crew.

The work at New London has consisted for the main part of long paddles in one stretch. On Saturday, June 11, the eight is reported to have covered the four-mile course in fast time, although no definite time was given out. Last week, on three separate occasions, Coach Kennedy sent the eight down-stream to New London bridge and back in two stretches of four and one-half miles each.

Comparison of Harvard and Yale.

By way of comparison of the two crews Harvard, as last year, is superior to Yale in physique, weight, and experience. Harvard, at present, seems to be by far the smoother rowing crew. The Yale shell, when going at the low stroke of 27, is not well on its keel. Many individual faults are apparent, and the body swing of the crew is poor. Wodell at 7 has a poor finish, and Campbell at 4, weighing over 190 pounds, is very awkward. The latter's rowing makes a bad break in the boat. In spite of these faults, the boat seems to travel fairly well at a low stroke, and the crew gets the hard finish with a quick recovery that is characteristic of all Yale eights. What Yale can do at a high stroke is as yet not known. It is certain, however, that the crew is using short slides this year and intends to row a high stroke for at least the first two miles of the race. Where Yale is weak, Harvard is strong.