REVIEW OF HARVARD SEASON

Development of Team.--This Year's Games.--Individual Criticism.

At the opening of the football season this fall Harvard men felt that with eleven "H" men in College and Coach Haughton again as head coach, the prospects for turning out a successful team seemed very bright. However, the usual series of misfortunes and accidents has prevented the team from developing as fast as some had hoped. Of the last year's team, Crowley, through trouble in his studies, was not allowed to play; West, Dunlap, Corbett, P. D. Smith, McKay and G. G. Browne have all been injured in such a way that they have been prevented from playing in several of the early season games.

Notwithstanding these set-backs, Coach Haughton has gone straight ahead and formed an eleven which throughout the fall has been a "coming" team. In each game it has shown a consistent improvement in spite of the fact that in almost every instance some of the regulars were not in the line-up. The development has been somewhat slow, for Coach Haughton has used the same methods and tactics which he employed a year ago. In the early games, which the University team had practically no difficulty in winning, the new material was given a try-out. It was not until the Williams game, in which the Harvard team was outplayed during the first half, that the real test came. In this game fumbling, which has been the chief fault, was very evident, while, on the other hand, Minot's terrific line-plunging, the main strength of this year's eleven as an offensive machine, was decisively exemplified. Since the Williams game, however, the coaches have devoted a great deal of time to the correction of fumbling, especially in the backfield, and in catching punts. Captain Fish and Minot have been the most conspicuous players on the team, the former showing up as the mainstay on the defence, the latter as the most consistent ground gainer. Captain Fish has proved himself to be an excellent field captain in addition to his other qualities. His work in diagnosing his opponents' method of play, more particularly when Harvard is on the defensive has seldom been equalled.

Coach Haughton's Methods.

It is hardly necessary to say anything of Coach Haughton's methods of coaching, for he employed the same ones as he used last fall--methods which have been much discussed and unanimously declared to be of the best. He places the responsibility on the player; each man must work out for himself the rules which Haughton gives him--each man has his own method for accomplishing the desired effect, but he is, at the same time, carefully watched by the coaches to see that this end is accomplished. The work has