Intercollegiate Fencing Meeting

The meeting of the Intercollegiate Fencing Association, which was held in New York during the vacation, resulted in a split in the association. Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, and Technology have already joined the new organization, which will be known as the University Fencing Association, and Princeton, Georgetown, Michigan, and Chicago have been invited to join.

The split arose from the refusal of the officials of the New York Athletic Association and the New York Fencers' Club to judge another round robin tournament, on the ground that such a contest is too hard on the men involved. F. Lage, captain of the Columbia team, then proposed a tournament by elimination, which would necessitate the admission of two new colleges to the association. This was in accordance with the wishes of Captain Tyng of the University Fencing team, who moved that according to a by-law of the association, Technology be admitted on a two years' probation. By a motion of the West Point captain this was laid on the table, and during the absence of Captain Tyng from the room, the by-law was annulled. After this action a motion was made to admit Technology and Princeton without probation, which motion was voted down by 4 to 3. Columbia and Cornell then withdrew from the association, followed by Harvard, who could not face the opposition alone.

The new organization, composed of the above mentioned colleges, will hold its meet on March 9 and 10. It is possible that the winners of the two associations will meet for the national championship.