Communication

The Negro Problem in Boston

[We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest. The CRIMSON is not, however, responsible for the sentiments expressed in such communications as may be printed.]

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Boston has a negro population of 15,000. Cambridge has nearly 5,000 more. There is opportunity right here, therefore, for study of the "negro problem," and there is great need of effort to better local conditions.

The South End House of Boston, with the purposes of which such Harvard men as are especially interested in social betterment work may be acquainted, is this year undertaking both a careful study of Boston's negro population and also some practical work toward improving the local situation.

Both in this general study and in the practical work there is an excellent chance for Harvard men who are interested in this question to co-operate with the House. From out the field for study may be selected certain sub-questions, such as "Immigration from the South," "Criminality and Immorality," or what not, which in view of the limitable size of the local negro population, may be comprehensively investigated. Such first-hand investigation would be gladly accepted as thesis work in a number of College courses. Then for the men who are interested in the more practical side of the question there is opportunity to take charge of various clubs and classes, to aid in getting employment, to encourage various negro enterprises, and so forth.

Will any Harvard men who are seriously interested in the study of the negro problem or in practical work among the negroes either give their names to R. S. Wallace, at Phillips Brooks House, or communicate directly with the South End House? JOHN DANIELS, 2G.,   South End House.