Professor Putnam's Lecture.

Under the auspices of the Anthropological Society Professor F.W. Putnam spoke last night in the Fogg Lecture Room on the "Exploration of a Prehistoric Earthwork and Group of Altar Mounds in Ohio."

Situated in Hamilton County, about thirty miles from Cincinnati, these mounds were discovered by two Harvard men, Professors Turner and Putnam. The work of exploring them was tedious, and often the workmen fell into pitfalls, lightly covered with crusts of clay. As the work progressed, however, they made many interesting discoveries. In some of the mounds, altars with skeletons and implements of prehistoric ages were found. Battle-axes, bracelets, knives, the things which were most valued during life, all these were placed by their side when they were buried; on one altar as many as sixty thousand beads were found. Of especial interest are the pictures of serpents, which throw great light upon the serpent worship of the early peoples.

An artistic spirit is manifested in various ways, by ornaments of mica, finely worked plates of copper and fragments of carved bone. The best specimens are probably to be found in the sculpture. Many little terra-cotta figures, about six inches in height, have been discovered, all of which are perfectly proportioned and wrought. These show the dress of the early peoples, the short tunics and curious headdress of the women, and the large earrings which were in general use.

The lecture was illustrated with stereopticon views of the mounds and discoveries.