Cross Country Running.

The last cross country run before the trials on Monday, which will decide the make-up of the University team for the intercollegiate meet, was held over the course on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. The men were given the full distance which will be required in the trials, eight laps around the course.

In the trials on Monday the men will be divided into two squads in order that there may be no crowding at the hurdles. The first squad will start at 3 o'clock and the second as soon as the first has finished. The most promising men will be placed in the first squad, but the trials will be decided altogether on the basis of the time made by the several candidates. The distance around the course is 1370 yards and the eight laps will make a total distance of six and one-quarter miles; the course at New York over which the intercollegiate meet will be held on November 26 is five miles long.

Seven men will be retained for the team from the trials and the training for the intercollegiate meet will be begun immediately. Inasmuch as the results depend on the work of the entire team rather than that of the individual members the training after Monday will be directed toward developing the team as a whole. The training will be of the same nature as heretofore, consisting of both distance running through the surrounding country and of work on the course.