The Lampoon.

Number five of the Lampoon succeeds in being fairly humorous except when it drops into poetry, as the Lampoon likes to do. Only two of the shortest verses are worth their space--one about "Ella," the other about "Solitary Sue." Both are ridiculous enough to be amusing. Several of the prose contributions show more originality than usual, notably the extract from Gulleivr's travels, which is a very clever parody. A large proportion of the shorter jokes are also above the average, such as the strangely familiar "Men at the Dunyer Cafe." Especial credit is due to the reportorial work of the Lampoon's New Haven correspondent. Under the circumstances, much tact must have been needed to secure interviews so pointed.

As to the illustrations, the centre page certainly catches the spirit of the occasion, containing as it does any amount of life and fire. The picture of Freshie at work on his German Comp., recalling painful recollections to most upper classmen, may still be forgiven for its fidelity to the truth. The incidental sketches of Historic Cambridge, as well as the calendar for November, are very effective. Of the editorials, the first, though obviously necessary, is not happily done. Toward the end, it rambles into ground where trespassers should be prosecuted. The second editorial, about the Crimson-Lampoon game, is far better, quite in another class, combining fact and fiction in the Lampoon's own naive little way. It agrees to say nothing and succeeds beyond all expectation.