Communication.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed. Every communication must be accompanied by the name of the writer.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The communication in Saturday's CRIMSON, concerning "a tutor of eight year's experience," gives an interpretation to the words "an experienced assistant in close touch with men in the Department" which was never intended, and assumes that the tutor in question uses this phrase as a "misleading advertising device." I wish to state, therefore, in justice to myself, my assistant, and the men who tutor with me, that both interpretation and assumption are incorrect, and, it seems, to me, uncharitable. Perhaps your correspondent will recognize that he formed his conclusions hastily and ill-advisedly when I state that the phrase "in close touch" means, and has been interpreted, so far as I know, to mean, that my assistant is intimately acquainted with men in the Department, has worked under them for years, knows through their view, and the importance they attach to them, and is therefore in an excellent position to prepare men for their examinations. As it is experience of this sort which makes the professional tutor superior to the amateur, and causes men to demand his services, I think I have a right to advertise that merit. Sincerely yours,   M. LE N. KING.

Jan. 26, 1901.