Communication.

Debates for Political Clubs.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Now that the two political clubs of the University have held their preliminary meetings and are looking forward to the coming campaign, it seems a suitable time for one or two suggestions regarding the work which may be accomplished by the united efforts of the two organizations.

Any one who has talked on political subjects with the average college student can hardly have failed to notice the general ignorance that prevails about the more practical phases of political and official life. Courses in Law and Government answer a good purpose in so far as they treat with the theoretical aspects of public questions; but there are many points of vital importance brought up every year which must be studied through other means.

What better means can there be than open debates between the two clubs that have just been reorganized? No definite conclusions could be reached, of course, by such discussion; but they would at least give a chance for the airing of opinions on both sides of disputed questions. This in itself is of no small value. A Republican or a Democrat gains little or nothing by walking ten miles in a procession with five hundred or a thousand equally ardent men of his own party. His opinions are not broadened by sitting in a friend's room and condemning the policy of his opponents. There is a decided gain, however, in listening to more than one side of a question, and in putting aside prejudices in an effort to come within reach of the truth. Such a gain is possible if the members of the political clubs see fit to work for it. A.