To the Editors of the Crimson:

The communications from the Class Day Committee define clearly the attitude of the University officials towards the "Tree" exercises. They must be abandoned soon. '98 has a chance to be the head end of futurity or the tail-end of antiquity,- with the privilege of a choice. The two objections to the past exercises appear to be against the nature of the contest and the crowded condition of the enclosure.

A little observation personally convinces me that the suggestions of the committee, in the matter of a new location, offer the most promising solution. There are unfortunately very few places near the Yard that offer a suitable space. Soldiers Field is entirely out of the question, and Holmes Field practically so. The objections to the rear yard have been carefully pointed out; and the advantages of the Memorial Hall triangle indicated. If we "move" at all, the committee seem to have found the best location for the exercises.

The tradition is broken in perhaps its most prominent features,- in flowers high up, and a "free-for-all." A substitute was tried last year, and was admittedly not satisfactory. Any further attempt to remodel these exercises means simply getting farther and farther away from the "traditional" argument The ladies who came to see the Tree exercises would not in any case see the genuine article, but merely a revised and abridged edition with the characteristic feature left out. I understand the value of traditions to be in their entity; remnants are very apt to be farcical.

What will '98 really gain by retaining the old site? We should have all the objections of the extremely cramped quarters and dangerous crowding; we should have a tradition that was only half a tradition.

Since we must have remodeled exercises, would it not be just as well to get rid of the other objection by selecting some location large enough to carry them out satisfactorily?

W. E. WEAVER '98.