Recently the CRIMSON has received a number of complaints, of which the communication published February 9 is an example, in regard to the site selected last summer for the Phillips Brooks Memorial House. They have been expressive of a feeling which is now in measure general, that any building, however small, placed behind Stoughton will spoil what is now a very complete portion of the Yard.

Although the selection is an unfortunate one, it seems to have been necessary. When, shortly after his death, it was most properly felt that some step should be taken in recognition or Phillips Brooks as a Harvard man, the Corporation promised to the committee on raising funds a site in the Yard, and reinforced by that promise the committee offered their appeal to the public. Finally, a year ago, though the sum raised was infinitely smaller than had been hoped, it was decided to build, and a site had to be selected. Out of several proposed that in the northwest corner of the Yard was finally chosen with some regret by the Corporation, as being the only one available. Looking forward to the extension of Gore Hall, which is bound to come in time, their hands were tied as far as that portion of the Yard was concerned, and it was felt that the southeast corner could not be thrown away on a small building. This decision was published in the CRIMSON early in October.

A site having been fixed, the committee went ahead on the plans which were submitted to, and approved by, the Corporation some time since.

As has already been explained the new structure will be built of the same materials and on the same general plans as the old buildings, and will harmonize with them. For this reason it is argued that the choice is justified, and further that the arrangement will be symmetrical, as the building will occupy much the same position at the end of Stoughton, that Harvard does at the end of Hollis, and will be about the same distance from Holden Chapel.

Thus to sum up: by their promise the Corporation are bound to give Phillips Brooks House a site in the yard, the site chosen is felt to be the only one available, the plans have been made and approved, and perhaps the building will after all not prove an eyesore. Granted after all not prove an eyesore. Granted that the promise of a site was a rash one, granted that there are obvious drawbacks to the selection is this, the eleventh hour, quite the time for opposition? If there is a general feeling among Harvard men against the Brooks House site, let us hope that in the future it will serve as a reminder that constant interest in the geographical extension of the University is the surest method of leading it aright.