The February "Monthly."

The Monthly for February, which will appear Friday, contains some unusually interesting matter. By far the best thing is an interesting little sketch by S. R. Wrightington entitled "Fair Harvard," dealing with the life of a poor student in a Western college. It is more cleverly handled than is usual with sketches of the kind and deserves great praise.

Albert E. Hancock makes an ambitious effort at sustained poetry in "Michelangelo and Vittoria Colonna." At times he is good,- so good in fact that it seems a pity that the whole is not better. As a whole the poem can hardly be called a success.

A carefully written and thoughtfully studied essay on Wordsworth's Ode on Immortality is contributed by Alfred D. Sheffield. It shows Wordsworth's keen appreciation of the significance of the connection between nature and child life. In contemplating childhood, says the writer, Wordsworth drew "an assurance that man's high instincts are then undimmed, that the mist between him and God is then 'a pure transparency.' "

"The Babes in the Wood," by A. Z. Reed,- a tale of frontier life,- is interesting to say the least, and fairly plausible. On the other hand, "A Dialogue," by Beatrice Witte has really no excuse for existence. It is in the first place ridiculous in matter. Sense is almost totally lost in the attempt to produce an impression of vividness.

The number also contains a vigorous symposium on "Intercollegiate Spirit in America," written by several of the undergraduates. Other numbers are:

In Moroan, Henry C. Greene.

Holly, E. W. Taylor.

The Repose of a Cat, Jarvis Keiley.