We wish to call attention again to a suggestion made in this column a few days ago that debating interests might be placed upon a stronger basis by the organization of class clubs. There is to begin with a very real need of some sort of stimulus. Those who have worked in the clubs are agreed upon this point-that a better use might be made of the interest in debating which already exists, to say nothing of expanding that interest.

As a proof of this fact, it is only necessary to point to the experience of the Freshman clubs in the past. In each case some 50 to 75 men showed a disposition to do regular work, and in at least one instance, that of '99, the class rewarded its debaters by ample recognition. Here then was what seems to be a basis for a logical and healthy growth.

If such a club should continue its existence until graduation, it seems reasonable to suppose that it could at least maintain its position in the class, and probably strengthen it. The successful debaters would presumably acquire more prestige and attract more men into the club from year to year. The class as it grew older would appreciate more keenly the service rendered to it by its debaters. Finally, by gradual association, and by identification with the class in respect to name, officers and membership, a feeling of responsibility could be aroused which the present unattached clubs wholly lack.

In place of this opportunity for expansion, however, the Freshman club now disbands at the end of the year. The most prominent of its speakers, to the number of 15 to 20, are taken into the Union or the Forum, and the rest are ignominiously dropped out of sight. Worst of all, the class at once loses track of the chosen few who continue their work.

Now we do not claim that the plan we propose is infallible, and least of all that it can be made an instant success. The change must be gradual, and the system must be patiently developed if it is to amount to anything. As a first step we propose that the 1900 club continue its organization this year. If the present Sophomore members of the Union and the Forum will take this matter up, and make their final aim a spring debate with the Freshmen, they will at all events have given the idea a trial. No harm can result, and it may do Harvard debating a great service.