Track Athletics.

The Mott Haven team in all its branches is progressing very favorably. The sprinters and long distance men have been competing for the last two months in the various open indoor games and are in good training. Of course the pole vaulters, hammer and shot putters and the high and low hurdle men have not taken much share in these games, but nevertheless those who are able are working in the Gymnasium until they can get outdoor practice. As soon as the weather permits, the pole-vaulting squad, which has been discontinued for some time, will begin work again. Hoyt, who holds the Harvard record of 11 ft. 2 3/4 in., Hallowell and Emmons who have both done better than 10 feet, Sherwin and Dole, point winners in interscholastic meetings, are the most promising men for this event.

There is a large number from which to choose in the shot putting. Clark, Hennen, Connor, Lovering, Klein, Paine, Merriman and Stott are all practicing with the squad which meets every afternoon. Kubli has a record of 39 feet 2 inches, which he made in the Yale games last spring, while Connor and Lovering are reported to have come near forty feet in practicing. Of the others, Clark, owing to a lame wrist, is not doing so well; Klein works hard but has not yet learned to make the best use of his strength; Paine, Merriman and Stott, although not quite so good, are still doing fairly well and should improve.

At present only three men, Clark, Connor and Hennen are candidates for the hammer. This is an unusually small number, but more men will certainly join them later. Their training consists of chestweight exercises and other heavy gymnasium work. Clark's record is 123 feet 7 inches, made in the autumn games, so that he promises to be a point winner. Connor and Hennen can each throw the hammer about 110 feet. However, if we hope to do well in this event against Pennsylvania, more heavy men will have to come out to make competition more lively.

There is good material for the high hurdles, although only five men are at present running. These are Munroe, Cole, Kubli, Fox and Emmons. Munroe has improved in speed since last year and should do well this spring; Cole is a new man who needs experience, but promises well; Kubli won third place at the B. A. A. meeting and is a fast runner, but his form is rather poor; Fox ran the low hurdles last year and ought with practice to do well at the high hurdles; Emmons is running the hurdles simply to keep himself in condition until out-door pole vaulting becomes possible. Besides these men it is hoped that Williams, Rice and Hallowell will come out, the addition of whom will strengthen the squad considerably. A call was made two days ago for candidates in the low hurdles and a large number of men responded, among whom are several of the best sprinters, so that from present appearances Harvard will be represented by a strong team this year.