Today the fall practice of the 'Varsity crew candidates practically ends with the race between the two eights for the medals offered by Mr. Storrow and Mr. Peabody. This race and a few more days of practice will close the most notable fall rowing season that Harvard has ever had.

The event of most importance has been the coming of Mr. Lehmann to take entire charge of the coaching. The stroke which has been so successful at Oxford is being introduced and will be taught the class crews as well as the University eight. It is believed that the stroke will bring victory to Harvard crews as it has to Oxford's and it is intended to end the uncertainty and changeableness in stroke and coaching, which have been Harvard's undoing in rowing for so many years, in a single stroke and a single system to be continued from year to year. If this system is successful in turning out winning crews, as the rowing authorities feel sure it will be, a great part of the credit will be due Mr. Lehmann, who has come so far and who by the end of the year will have devoted so much valuable time and energy to the crew. Both graduates and undergraduates have a lively appreciation of the sacrifices he is making and of the value of his services. And now before he returns to England, we assure him of that appreciation and thank him for his readiness to sacrifice his own private interests and give his time and services to Harvard.

To Mr. Lehmann's arrivial is due in large part the very unusual interest taken in the fall work of the crew Never in recent years have so many candidates been out in the fall, nor has there for many years been a race between 'Varsity eights in the fall. And never before have the students taken such great interest in the fall practice or looked more hopefully on the prospects for success on the water. The race today will increase the interest of the crew's supporters and, we hope, by its success will strengthen their confidence in Mr. Lehmann and the eight.