YALE LETTER.

The Christmas Trip of the Musical Clubs.- The Junior Prom.

NEW HAVEN, Jan. 13, 1896.

The Christmas trip of the Glee and Banjo clubs was very successful. The journey through the South was something of an experiment as no Yale organization had ever before been as far as New Orleans, but everywhere the men were welcomed with hospitality, and bore away pleasant associations of each place. Concerts were given at Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland, Indianapolis, vansville, St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans, Montgomery, Atlanta, Nashville and Lakewood. Preparations for the Prom. are almost completed, and the latest radical change is in omitting the senior german. This is the smallest of the three germans, and its loss will help rather than hinder the Prom. events, as the time is now limited to two evenings. The plans for last year's Prom. have been re-adopted in nearly every case and practically everything is now arranged. As usual, the boxes are to be sold at auction.

Yale feels pardonable pride in the fact that there are three of its graduates on the Venezuelan Commission, recently appointed by President Cleveland. Justice Brewer is also one of Yale's three representatives on the Supreme Court bench. Hon. Theodore Roosevelt will probably speak before the Graduates and Civil Service Reform clubs, sometime during March, on the subject of Civil Service Reform, or some phase of the movement.

Work on the university and freshman crews began Saturday, and for the former, about twenty-five men reported outside of the members of last year's crew. A run of nearly four miles was taken, with body exercises and a very little tank work. There will be no race this year with Oxford or Cambridge, as it is impossible to arrange suitable dates. Our crew cannot go across early enough to suit the Englishmen, and they cannot hold their crew together long enough after their race to meet Yale. It was the general hope that this race might be arranged and its failure this year is a disappointment.

As is usual in winter terms, the Gymnasium is getting unusual attention. Instructors in wrestling and fencing have begun courses, and a schedule of about ten games has been arranged for the basketball team.

YALE NEWS.