These two votes of the Board of Overseers are identical with votes passed by the Corporation, at their meeting two weeks ago. They were passed in response to a question from the Athletic Committee and are of course simply a statement of the judgment of the Corporation and Overseers. There is no overruling of any action taken in the past, for the simple reason that there has been no decisive action taken to be over-ruled.

But though this latest vote is but an expression of judgment, as such it is of great importance; for it defines the position of the Athletic Committee and is a practical endorsement of its scheme for the improvement of football. It is highly improbable that the Faculty will take any action in opposition to the Corporation and Overseers, that is, by forbidding students under its control to play intercollegiate football. And if no positive action is taken, it may fairly be hoped that football will be played next fall between Harvard and other colleges. Just what this game will be it is impossible to predict, but the favorable attitude of the Corporation and Overseers is certainly due to the assurance they feel that the reforms suggested by the Athletic Committee will be carried out, in good faith. The issue between the Faculty and the other bodies is simply one of opinion as to the possibility that effective reforms can be carried out; and now that the latter have declared their willingness to leave the responsibility with the Athletic Committee it seems quite conceivable that the Faculty will be willing to waive their objections for the present.

It is quite certain that no action will be taken by either the Faculty or the Athletic Committee, before President Eliot's return, about May 1.