Communication.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Saturday afternoon Mr. E. N. Fenno, Mr. Thomas Motley, Capt. Reed and Dr. Brooks talked to the 'varsity crew squad on the necessity of working in a different spirit than current reports now credit them with. One and all pointed out the need of pulling together and backing Mr. Watson's every move with the determination necessary to do justice to him and to ourselves.

Mr. Watson is not here to pick a crew from fellows of his immediate acquaintance or to be partial in the slightest degree; the idea is simply absurd. He is here to teach us to row, a position for which his thorough knowledge of the science adapts him; he is here to pull us out of the hole into which we have fallen and to establish a system which shall win, as it must, a full share of victories in the future.

The graduates, as a body, back Mr. Watson, the undergraduates must do the same. Entire confidence, one in the other, we in Mr. Watson and his methods, Mr. Watson in us and our skill as oarsmen, is necessary and must be had, that rowing may once more be established upon the sound basis where it stood when Mr. Watson was at the helm before.

The crew, for their part, are at least a unit, and it but remains for the undergraduates, one and all, to fall into line, in order that perfect harmony may reign. If the students would look at it in this light, namely, that, after all, they do not know quite as much on the subject of rowing as they think they do, and decidedly not as much as Mr. Watson, our coach; if they look at it in this light, perhaps they can accept his plans, his ideas and his methods in a manner becoming an undergraduate body and true Harvard men.

JOHN R. BULLARD,Temp. Captain.To the Editors of the Crimson:

Every undergraduate must feel some natural interest in the 'varsity crew, but that interest will necessarily die if all information about it is strictly refused.

Mr. Watson may be justified in keeping visitors out of the rowing room because they overcrowd the room and interfere with the coaches, but on this very account authentic information about the crew should be given to the University at large in some other ways. In the absence of such reliable reports various rumors are circulated, and also to a certain extent believed, which certainly do not tend to add to the confidence of the undergraduates in the new system of coaching.

Now that the 'varsity squad has been apparently reduced to two crews, the interest of the University is focused on these few men and it seems as if at least the order and make-up of the crews ought to be known as that is naturally now a point of especial interest.

The difficulty of keeping up the enthusiasm during the secret practice of the football team is well known and this fact applies equally well to the crew.

NINETY-SIY.