Mott Haven Team.

Training for the Mott Haven team has begun in real earnest and the candidates are working hard and faithfully every day. It is very encouraging to see what a great number of men there are trying for the team and what an Interest they show in their work.

Of the last year's team now in college the following men won points at the Yale games and at New York: J. L. Bremer 10, C. J. Paine, Jr., 10, W. F. Garcelon 9, P. da S. Prado 7, E. Hollister C. D. Drew, H. W. Jameson, J. L. Coolidge, J. D. Phillips, F. S. Eliot, each 2, and N. B. Marshall, W. H. Vincent, A. Stickney, V. Munroe, L. T. Hildreth, each one; in all 53 points.

Merrill, Coonley, Bloss, Carson, Wheelwright and Hill, with a total of 24 points, have left college. Yale, however, has almost all of her last year's point winners in college and in the field events, where she is the strongest. Harvard is very weak. In the shot and hammer events alone Yale last year won 30 points to Harvard's none. It is here especially that Harvard has to improve. With regard to old men, then, Yale is better off than we are, but from the very large number of new men that we now have in training some excellent material ought to be developed. Thus, although it is yet rather too early in the season to make any predictions, it is safe to say that the prospects for a good team for this year look very bright.

Yesterday the candidates for the sprints were run trial heats of forty yards on time. The straight-away of the board track was used and though the men ran slightly up hill and against the wind, there were some half dozen of them who made this distance in 4 4-5 seconds. Today the distance men will in turn be tried under the watch.